as for that

< Previous | Next >

blwings

Korean-S.Korea
"These my honorable & worthy lords, the Judges of Assize, upon great consideration, thought it necessary & profitable, to publish to the whole world, their most barbarous and damnable practices, with the direct proceedings of the Court against them, as well for that there do pass diverse uncertain reports and relations of such evidences, as was publicly given against them at their arraignment. As for that diverse came to prosecute against many of them that were not found guilty, and so rest very discontented, and not satisfied. As also for that it is necessary for men to know and understand the means whereby they work their mischief, the hidden mysteries of their devilish and wicked enchantments, charms, and sorceries, the better to prevent and avoid the danger that may ensue."

This is from the court record of the Lancashire witches trial (1612). I cannot guess what does bolded 'as for that' mean here. Please someone explain it to me.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    This is archaic style. It should be read as:
    "The Judges thought it necessary to publish the proceedings of the Court, because there are circulating uncertain reports of the evidence, and also because diverse people came to prosecute many of them that were not found guilty."

Chez

English English
    It is very antique language and therefore hard even for native-speakers to understand.

But it seems to me to be listing the reasons why they have decided to publish these proceedings. Note that 'As for that diverse...' appears in the previous sentence as well. I would understand it as meaning 'also because' i.e.

The court was publishing this report to tell the world about the witches' 'damnable practices'; and also because there are 'diverse uncertain reports' (i.e. lies and gossip) circulating; and also because some people gave evidence about people who were found not guilty and aren't satisfied with the result.

Sorry, cross-posted!

blwings

Korean-S.Korea
    This is archaic style. It should be read as:
    "The Judges thought it necessary to publish the proceedings of the Court, because there are circulating uncertain reports of the evidence, and also because diverse people came to prosecute many of them that were not found guilty."

It is very antique language and therefore hard even for native-speakers to understand.

But it seems to me to be listing the reasons why they have decided to publish these proceedings. Note that 'As for that diverse...' appears in the previous sentence as well. I would understand it as meaning 'also because' i.e.

The court was publishing this report to tell the world about the witches' 'damnable practices'; and also because there are 'diverse uncertain reports' (i.e. lies and gossip) circulating; and also because some people gave evidence about people who were found not guilty and aren't satisfied with the result.

Sorry, cross-posted!

Thanks very much!

< Previous | Next >