(As) For the grand finale

arueng

CHINESE
For the grand finale, students attend a homecoming dance in the evening. Guys arrive in their finest tuxedoes and girls dress up in long, flowing gowns.

Hi,

Does "for the grand finale" in the above mean "as for the grand finale?" Thanks.

• Copyright

American English
    Not really... it means "for the grand finale." :) The word order has just been changed... here's the other variation: "Students attend a homecoming dance in the evening for the grand finale."

arueng

CHINESE
    Thanks, Copyright, for your constant help.
    But I'm still not sure of the meaning of "for" in question. Is it interchangeable with "as?"

Copyright

American English
    Thanks, Copyright, for your constant help.
    But I'm still not sure of the meaning of "for" in question. Is it interchangeable with "as?"
    In your example, you could replace for with as, but that doesn't mean that as means for. Here are non-as sentences using for:

I received a bicycle for my birthday.
    For my birthday, I received bicycle.

We decorated a tree for Christmas
    For Christmas, we decorated a tree.

Sorry, I don't think giving you more examples is what you need for understanding, but that's all I've got. :) Let's wait for someone to jump in here with a better explanation.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I assume that the dance is the last in a series of events to celebrate something.

Dinner began with a delicious soup, followed by numerous other dishes. For a grand finale, the waiters brought out an elaborate concoction of fruit and ice cream that was served on a a block of ice that had been carved to look like the Colosseum.

The celebration of the king's birthday began with a parade. This was followed by a festival with food and games, and for the grand finale of the celebration, the loyal subjects marched around the castle in the evening in a torchlight procession, singing songs.

In the example you gave, there were several other events that came before this, and the dance was the last one.

arueng

CHINESE
    Thanks, GWB.
    I need to pinpoint the meaning of "for" in the context.
    Does it amount to "serving as?"

Copyright

American English
    The Compact Oxford has as its fourth definition for the preposition "for": having as a purpose or function. That would seem to suit birthdays and grand finales. But again, I'm guessing here.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think Copyright's explanation is good: here "for" introduces the purpose or reason the students attend the dance. The students attend the dance so that they will have ~ or participate in ~ a "grand finale".

"As the grand finale" would make the emphasis slightly different. It says that attending the dance functions as a grand finale.

"As for the grand finale" would have a third meaning. "As for" usually introduces another item in a series:
    The students attend a football game. They then go to a dinner held in their honor. As for the grand finale, the students attend a homecoming dance in the evening.​

< Previous | Next >