as good as gone

• pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    It means he will be leaving so soon that you might as well exclude him from further consideration.
    It can be used, for example, for someone on their last day at work or someone who has done something wrong and his dismissal is now only a formality.

Andrejice

czech
    well, i heard it in a TV series..and the context is that someone is infected or ill.. and the czech translation was somethink like "he is going to die". But it seemed me incorrect...

Copyright

American English
    well, i heard it in a TV series..and the context is that someone is infected or ill.. and the czech translation was something like "he is going to die". But it seemed me incorrect...
    In that case, He's as good as gone means He's as good as dead. They don't want to say "dead" so they've said "gone." And it's a set phrase, so it works fine in English. We do use "gone" sometimes to refers to someone who has died. As far as translations go, the one you have is all right... if not quite so blunt.

dauphinblue

Indonesian
    Can we replace the word gone with another word? For example, what if I'm saying, "If you do the same thing as other, then you will be as good as invisible"?. Can it applied that way?

Copyright

American English
    Can we replace the word gone with another word? For example, what if I'm saying, "If you do the same thing as other, then you will be as good as invisible"?. Can it applied that way?
    I would say no. But you can use the expression in other ways: The camouflage pattern was so remarkable that the soldiers were as good as invisible in the forest."

< Previous | Next >