as green as they come

Discussion in 'English Only' started by AskLang, Aug 4, 2009.

1. AskLang Senior Member

Manila
    Filipino
    Hi!

I came across this article the other day. I'm just interested in the phrase "as green as they come". It is undoubtedly an idiom for me. But can you please englighten me as to its meaning? Thank you.

I posted my first blog yesterday, but have no idea how to find others,
    topics I am interested in, friends, groups, how to "follow" a blog, or otherwise.
    I'm about as green as they come (not with computers or applications, but with blogging).

2. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Green in this context means inexperienced. "As green as they come" means as inexperienced as it's possible to be.

3. AskLang Senior Member

Manila
    Filipino
    Thanks foxfirebrand.

4. Jasmine_Chila Senior Member

Scotland ~ Egypt
    English - Scotland
    Yes, like foxfirebrand said exactly.
    I think it comes from the fact that trees are green and nature is green, showing innocence.

5. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    A similar expression is "(still) wet behind the ears".

6. foxfirebrand

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    I agree that new wood is a source of the expression, but I think it connotes pliability, and being "green" is not a virtue like innocence is said to be. Green wood is not useful for weapon or tool handles, or other building materials, until cured or seasoned.

7. Jasmine_Chila Senior Member

Scotland ~ Egypt
    English - Scotland
    Oh really? Thanks foxfirebrand I did not know that

8. foxfirebrand

The Northern Rockies
    By the way, Jasmine, my opinion about the connotations of "I'm as green as they come" is not definitive, and doesn't cover all cases. A person could use green in a more honorific way than I've suggested-- it would be rare, I think. But that's just it, we're in the realm of judgment call, interpretation and opinion, and you needn't take mine as all-encompassing law.

Yes, I sound as though I believe it to be just that-- always factor that in when reading one of my "authoritative" posts.