as had my former ambitions

Akinci

Turkish
From my childhood I had had a desire to go to Cathay, but because of having to rule and other obstacles, it had never been possible. Now there was nothing for me to rule… Impediments to my travel had disappeared, as had my former ambitions.

What happened to his former ambitions? disappeared ?

• Akinci

Turkish
    A Short History of the Mughal Empire by
    Michael H Fisher

Babur spent his youth alternating among predatory raids, brief conquests, and barely surviving on the run or as a poor relation in his wary, condescending, kinsmen’s courts. Only sustained success, which eluded him, would make him attractive to potential followers and provide the wealth necessary to reward and retain them. Repeatedly, Babur nearly died from illness or battle (which would have precluded the future Mughal Empire). At age 19, he candidly wrote :

…I endured such hardship and misery. I had no realm—and no hope of any realm…. I had had all I could take of homelessness and alienation. ‘With such difficulties,’ I said to myself, ‘it would be better to go off on my own so long as I am alive, and with such deprivation and wretchedness [wander] wherever my feet will carry me, even to the ends of the earth.’ I decided to go to Cathay [Khitai, meaning Mongolia] on my own. From my childhood I had had a desire to go to Cathay, but because of having to rule and other obstacles, it had never been possible. Now there was nothing for me to rule…. Impediments to my travel had disappeared, as had my former ambitions.

< Previous | Next >