... as he did

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Honeyduke, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Honeyduke Senior Member

England, English
    'he watched me, changing his mind as he did so as to which room to offer'

Hi there,

I was just wondering if you could help me translate this sentence. I'm concerned about two parts; the 'as he did' and 'so as to' My best effort is this, but it doesn't contain the nuances of the sentence.

он посмотрел меня, раздумывая, в то время как он смотрел, о каком номере дать мне.

It's a bit lame but I thought I'd try! Thanks x

2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    I'm not sure I got English phrase correctly, but due sense seems to me like this:
    Он смотрел на меня (разглядывал меня), раздумывая, какой бы номер мне предложить.

It seems to me that imperfect verb смотрел might substitute perfect посмотрел plus as he did, because the latter makes the process continuous.

3. Honeyduke Senior Member

England, English
    Is the бы there to make it subjunctive? Thankyou for the quick response:)

4. Crescent

Crescent Senior Member

England
    Russian, (Ukraine)
    Maroseika may not agree with me on this :p, but I believe it that the ''бы'' is there to express the conditional - as the subjuntive does not exist in slavic languages. (which I didn't know either, until I started a thread on it and I was sadly informed that we don't have it.. :( )

5. Crescent

Crescent Senior Member

England
    Russian, (Ukraine)
    Yes, Maroseika, you got the sense of the English phrase perfectly. :)
    Honeyduke: Hey, don't worry if your attempt wasn't perfect! It was pretty good, anyway, I must say. And besides, it's always a lot better (and more brave :p) to try it yourself before getting help. So..keep it up!:thumbsup:
    It is also possible (as always :p) to change some words around and say: Он рассматривал меня (с любопытством) (that would mean: He was gazing at me/studying me curisouly), раздумывая, над тем, какой бы номер (или: комнату) мне предложить.

6. Honeyduke Senior Member

England, English
    Hi there,
    Thanks loads for the encouragement:) It's nice to give it a try first and see how near I get!
    над тем - how would you translate this part of the sentence? Is this the equivilent to 'as he did'?
    Thanks

7. Crescent

Crescent Senior Member

England
    Russian, (Ukraine)
    Hello again. :)
    I'm glad that what I said encourages you further! It's always nice to do nice things for nice people, is the way I look at it. :p
    Ahh..not quite! ''над тем'' doesn't really translate into English, well - it does, but it is often omitted. It just means ''thinking about (changing his mind was your original equivalent to this) the fact of which room to offer him''
    Над тем doesn't carry a meanining specifically, it's just like ''thinking over the fact of something'' (but of course it sounds odd in English and that's why we don't translate it.) You could ommit it in Russian too, if you wish. It really isn't very important. :)

8. Floridian001 New Member

Gainesville, FL
    English, USA
    'he watched me, changing his mind as he did so as to which room to offer'
    "He watched me, ruminating/(deliberating) on which room to offer." More normal speech.
    “Он смотрел на меня (разглядывал меня), раздумывая, какой бы номер мне предложить”

Во первых, я не любю это предложение (оригинал на английском), меня поражает совсем не правилно. Даже без смысла.

He watched me, changing his mind...(as he did so as to which room to offer??)
    =He changed his mind back and forth as he watched him?

По моему невозможно “передумывать много раз”, как вы сказали лучше сказать раздумывать (deliberate, ponder, consider, ruminate, etc...)

“as he did as to which room to offer” я смотрел на эту фразе долго, и решил что это не непостижимый (для меня)

Англичанини, что это такое? диалект в кокние?

какой вариант языка изучают люди в России Американского или Английского? если ответ «английского вариант», тогда помоги мне.
    :)

9. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Well, you know, basing on my own experience and that of my acquaintances, usually we don't care.