As I child

Lucy 234

Korean
Hi all,
I came across the following sentence and I didn't know how to understand "As I child"? Is it grammatical? Thank you!

As I child I thought she was beautiful, as most children think their mothers are beautiful. Children of the Manse

• Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I was unaware of that combination, but indeed it seems to be quite common, even in texts that were almost certainly written by native speakers of English. How odd!

sdgraham

USA English
    I was unaware of that combination, but indeed it seems to be quite common, even in texts that were almost certainly written by native speakers of English. How odd!
    Bizarre, indeed. I wouldn't call it "common," however, since we've not encountered it before on either side of the Pond. :confused:

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    Bizarre, indeed. I wouldn't call it "common," however, since we've not encountered it before on either side of the Pond. :confused:
    I was probably overstating the case, and should have said that there are many examples of it on the internet.

Here is one, about the Natural History Museum in London.
    "Even as I child I hadn’t been and so we decided to try it out with our toddler and 7 year old son."
    National History Museum London – Hard Days Out

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I'd guess it is more likely a typo, rather than a scanning error. Some scanning errors, such as rn --> m, are understandable, but "I" (or "i") and "a" don't look similar. The error may have occurred in the brain of the writer, because those two one-letter words are very common and it would be easy to strike one letter rather than the other when typing fast.

I just made a list of websites with "as I child", but then deleted it because some of the texts were rather personal.

< Previous | Next >