As I exchanged a translation for an exercise

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Irelia20150604, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Irelia20150604

Irelia20150604 Senior Member

China Shanghai
    Chinese
    The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 34) | Genius

Quotation: One afternoon, however, I got leave to stay at home, because I really had a cold. His sisters were gone to Morton in my stead: I sat reading Schiller; he, deciphering his crabbed Oriental scrolls. As I exchanged a translation for an exercise, I happened to look his way: there I found myself under the influence of the ever-watchful blue eye. How long it had been searching me through and through, and over and over, I cannot tell: so keen was it, and yet so cold, I felt for the moment superstitious—as if I were sitting in the room with something uncanny.
    ===
    Hi everyone! I don’t quite understand the bold part. My interpretation is as below. Is it correct?

To exchange => 2 : to part with for a substitute <exchanging future security for immediate pleasure> [M-W dictionary]

The sentence => as I ceased to translate and began to do an exercise.

2. miba54 Senior Member

England
    English - British
    What I got from it is that while she was reading the book, she wanted to try to translate a little part of it just for a change, to have fun and when she did that, she felt things she'd never felt before.

3. Irelia20150604

China Shanghai
    Chinese
    :idea: Thank you for your explanation. So should the sentence be read as "as I exchanged [a translation for an exercise]", i.e., "as I stopped to try to translate a little part of it just for a change"? I think the word "to exchange" confused me here.

4. miba54 Senior Member

England
    English - British
    Yes, it can be read like that.

Another approach: "...when I decided to translate a little part of it just for a change..."

5. Irelia20150604

China Shanghai
    Chinese
    I see. Thanks. :idea:

6. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    I read it differently, and I think your idea was correct, Irelia. Jane is using a Schiller text to learn German. She does a bit of translation, then starts on an exercise - either one set by her book or one she has set herself.

7. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I read it like veli: she stops translating and starts doing an exercise.

8. Irelia20150604

China Shanghai
    Chinese
    Thank you both for your explanations. :idea: