< Previous | Next >

Mohammad Ali1

Persian
Even as he hunted for a reason for the action, as if he were detached
somehow, crouched on the other side of her bed watching himself
go through this, at the same time knowing it was over, he moved
toward her bed.
Source: "furious Seasons" by Raymond Carver
Q: here there are five sentences beside each other trying to say something. I understand them individually but I can't sort them in my mind in order to undersand them.

• london calling

UK English
    He was trying to understand why whatever it was had happened. He felt detached means he felt he wasn't really part of it, almost as if it wasn't real, as if he had nothing to do with whatever had happened.

lentulax

UK English
    But it has five parts. Am I right. If you want to say it all in one simple sentence what would you say?
    It's a complex sentence. Assume that if someone uses a complex sentence, it's because they can't say what they want to say in a simple sentence.

I can't sort them in my mind in order to understand them
    So it's the structure you find difficult. It is : 'Even as he did A, as if he were a, [as if he were] b and bi, at the same time bii, he did B' . 'Even as he hunted [A] for a reason , as if he were detached (a)...,crouched (b)...watching (bi)... at the same time knowing (bii), he moved toward her bed.'
    'Moved' is the main verb. (Sorry , but it's become impossible to switch off the bold after the last !)

< Previous | Next >