as important as your praise is to me

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Gina gets some kids "at risk" to sign up to become Junior police officers, after cops Amy's and Rosa's attempts failed. The C.O., not knowing it, praises Amy and Rosa. Amy:
— Thank you, sir. But as important as your praise is to me, it should actually go to Gina. She's the one that got through to the kids.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine, TV series

Rephrase, please, the part in bold. How does it connect to the next phrase?
Does it mean -- "the fact that your praise should actually go to Gina is as important to me as your praise itself"?
Thank you.

• The Newt

English - US
    The idea is "even though your praise would be very important to me, if I deserved it, it is Gina whom you should praise, not me."

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Thank you for the answers.
    But could you rephrase it keeping those "as"?:) Or just explain what they mean... I can't understand the grammar of the phrase.
    Is it like -- "(something) is as important to me as your praise"? -- [where "something" is "this praise going to Gina"] Am I right?

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Keeping the "as," it would have to be something like:

But as much as I would like to accept this praise, it really belongs to Gina.
    Ah, it seems to me the meaning of "as" here is this:
    5. used to say that in spite of something being true, what follows is also true Syn: ↑ though
    • Happy as they were, there was something missing. • Try as he might (= however hard he tried) , he couldn't open the door.
    OALD

If so, the first "as" could be omitted:
    Important as your praise is to me, it should actually go to Gina.

Is it correct?

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Ah, it seems to me the meaning of "as" here is this:
    5. used to say that in spite of something being true, what follows is also true Syn: ↑ though
    • Happy as they were, there was something missing. • Try as he might (= however hard he tried) , he couldn't open the door.
    OALD

If so, the first "as" could be omitted:
    Important as your praise is to me, it should actually go to Gina.

Is it correct?
    Yes, exactly.

< Previous | Next >