As important is the fight against pollution of our environment

loverofenglish

Vietnamese
Hello.
An important part of conservation is the prevention of waste – waste of forests, soil, wildlife, minerals and human lives. As important is the fight against pollution of our environment, in particular, the dirtying and poisoning of air and water.
http://elearn24h.com/?p=222

Is the bold sentence of inversion, please?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Yes,
    As important [as the prevention of waste]... is.... the fight against pollution of our environment, in particular, the dirtying and poisoning of air and water.
    .........................object............................verb...................................................................subject........................................................

the normal word order would be
    The fight against pollution of our environment, in particular, the dirtying and poisoning of air and water..
    is.. as important [as the prevention of waste]
    .........................................................subject...................................................................verb..........................object...................

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Not really. I would not use them except in very specific contexts. If you use them without that context, people will look at you as if you are mad.

1. I have looked for other examples of constructions similar to "A necessary thing for life is water." and I have found none. Although it is possible, I advise you do not use it. Instead, use the normal construction: "Water is a necessary thing for life."

2. Here are a few examples of the construction "as necessary is air.": This is not a sentence, it is a clause and cannot be used on its own.

What is less well known, but just as necessary, is the whole spectrum of services
    Of course, just as necessary is the innovative nature of the products we offer.
    At least as necessary is the person's subjective conception of the situation.
    Slightly more difficult to define, but as necessary, is the cost of decisions based on the data,

You will see that in all of them, the "as necessary" is qualified by just, at least, but, etc. This is OK, as just, at least, but, etc give the reader warning of what will follow is a comparison. Without this, the reader will stumble because he will, at first, think that "as important" is the subject of is.

If you are speaking your tone will help with the meaning.

As comment on "An important part of conservation is the prevention of waste – waste of forests, soil, wildlife, minerals and human lives. As important is the fight against pollution of our environment,", it is a test of fairly high-level English, the structure was chosen because it was obscure. Normally, when we write or speak, we do not want to be obscure.

< Previous | Next >