as irrelevant as the hansom cab

< Previous | Next >

akhakbaz

Persian
Hi
Can anybody please tell me what the following sentence mean?I have taken
The Question now is whether these kinds correspond to some altered reality, leaving the older tradition as really irrelevant as the hansom cab , or whether they are in fact the symptoms of some very deep crisis in experience, which throws up these talented works yet persists, unexplored, and leaves us essentially dissatisfied.
(Raymond Williams, long revolution, page 312, para 2).

Attachments

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Which of the words do you not understand, akhakbaz?

If you understand all the words, you should be able to understand that a "hansom cab" has no "relevance" to the life of a young person today.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    How do you understand, "This tree is as big as a house."?

It is the same construction as "the older tradition [is] as really irrelevant as the hansom cab"

akhakbaz

Persian
    A "hansom cab" is a carriage pulled by horses. In the UK and US they don't use those very much nowadays.
    Hi
    So, if I`ve taken what you suggest correctly, it means that the older tradition Is irrelevant now because it is somehow old-fashioned. Am I right?

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    A few cities have hansom cabs still in service, but these are tourist attractions, not something people use every day. Most of us have never seen one, much less ridden in one. So a hansom cab is irrelevant to everyday life. Your sentence is suggesting that maybe some old tradition is equally irrelevant.

akhakbaz

Persian
    A few cities have hansom cabs still in service, but these are tourist attractions, not something people use every day. Most of us have never seen one, much less ridden in one. So a hansom cab is irrelevant to everyday life. Your sentence is suggesting that maybe some old tradition is equally irrelevant.
    Thank you.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    A few cities have hansom cabs still in service, but these are tourist attractions, not something people use every day.
    I don't think you will find them even as tourist attractions. Hansom cabs (named for their inventor, the architect Joseph Hansom) were a very particular type of two-wheeled vehicles drawn by a single horse. Even in places where there are horse-drawn carriages for tourists, one will not find hansom cabs.
    This is a picture of a hansom cab:

< Previous | Next >