as is

MineGloria

Chinese-China
Wuhan, where the COVID-19 pandemic originated, is lagging, as is the rest of Hubei province—but even there, the lockdown is due to lift 8 April.

The sentence is from Can China return to normalcy while keeping the coronavirus in check? in www.sciencemag.org.
I kind of know how to translate the "as is" here, but I am not sure of the grammar. Could you please list a few examples to explain the grammar here?
Thanks a lot!

• lingobingo

English - England
    as is the rest of Hubei province
    and so is the rest of Hubei province
    in the same way as the rest of Hubei province
    in the same way that the rest of Hubei province is

MineGloria

Chinese-China
    as is the rest of Hubei province
    and so is the rest of Hubei province
    Thanks a lot! By the way, is as here a conjunction or something else? What is its function in terms of grammar?

lingobingo

English - England
    I think what you’re referring to is what, with regard to English, we call non-restrictive and restrictive (or defining) relative clauses? This is not a relative clause, nor does it describe the main clause. The clauses have different subjects — Wuhei is lagging / the rest of Hubei province is [lagging].

MineGloria

Chinese-China
    I think what you’re referring to is what, with regard to English, we call non-restrictive and restrictive (or defining) relative clauses? This is not a relative clause, nor does it describe the main clause. The clauses have different subjects — Wuhei is lagging / the rest of Hubei province is [lagging].
    That is excatly what I want to ask! Thanks a lot!

Forero

I disagree with one of Lingobingo's glosses, "and so is the rest of Hubei province", because it makes the sentence compound instead of complex, bringing the second clause to the same level as the first clause.

Yes, "as is the rest of Hubei province" is adverbial, modifying the participle "lagging".

Lingobingo's other two glosses are fine:

Another possibility is:

which the rest of Hubei province (also) is

Lingobingo's "that" means "in which", so the relative pronoun "which" is "understood" one way or another, and the original "as" clause can be seen as a kind of relative clause.

But here it does not modify a noun (and "lagging" here is not a gerund).

Here is another example of the same use of "as":

Jim is a carpenter, as is his father.
    Jim is a carpenter, which his father is too.
    ["As" is like "which", so it can be seen as a kind of relative pronoun]
    Jim is a carpenter, who is his father.:cross: [But certainly not this kind of relative pronoun]

Note also that the subject of "is" in the original subordinate clause is "the rest of Hubei province". ("As" allows inversion of subject and verb.)

lingobingo

English - England
    I disagree with one of Lingobingo's glosses, "and so is the rest of Hubei province", because it makes the sentence compound instead of complex, bringing the second clause to the same level as the first clause.
    I absolutely take your point. But my examples were really only meant to clarify the meaning of that use of the pesky little word as. I wasn’t trying to make a point about the grammar, as such – despite that being the question asked. :oops:

MineGloria

Chinese-China
    That's very kind of you. Thank you all!
    I have another question. Can I call the clause an inverted sentence?
    If I put the "is" at the end of the clause, like "as the rest of Hubei province is", is it right?

lingobingo

English - England
    If you write it that way, there is no inversion — the word order is subject then verb, as normal.

Wuhan … is lagging, as is the rest of Hubei province :tick:
    Wuhan … is lagging, just as the rest of Hubei province is :tick:

reno33

English - USA
    You might want to consider a much simpler equivalent :

Wuhan, where the COVID-19 pandemic originated, is lagging, as is the rest of Hubei province—but even there, the lockdown is due to lift 8 April.
    Wuhan, where the COVID-19 pandemic originated, is lagging, like the rest of Hubei province—but even there, the lockdown is due to lift 8 April.

< Previous | Next >