as it is mentioned vs. as mentioned

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
Greetings,

Should "it is " be omitted from this sentence to be grammatically correct or both forms are correct?
Besides the tense of the second verb must be past because of being parallel with the first verb tense or it mist be present because I am talking about it at the moment?

I thought the car is/was expensive as it is mentioned in the advertisement.
I thought the car is/was expensive as mentioned in the advertisement.

Last edited:
  • natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    It sounds a little convoluted. I would say, 'I thought the price mentioned in the advertisement (was) rather high'.

If you want 'as mentioned', I'd go for 'I thought the price, as mentioned in the advertisement, (was) rather high'.

The verb think allows the structure think + NP + adj with no second verb.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I thought it is/was expensive as it is mentioned in the advertisement.
    What do you think it refers to? I think it refers to it. And that does not make sense. Why would it being mentioned in an advertisement make it expensive?

Note: here "as" means "because".

Note that it refers to a noun mentioned in a sentence before this sentence. Otherwise this sentence has no meaning.

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    Thanks but I didn't understand which part was ungrammatical and what the correct form is!
    I thought the book is/was expensive as is mentioned in the website. (omitting it) ?
    I thought the book is/was expensive as mentioned in the website. (omitting it is) ?

Last edited:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Thanks for the changes (book, website). They help.

I am not sure that I know what your sentence is supposed to mean. Here is my guess:

I think the book is expensive, because the website mentions that the book is expensive.

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    Another example:

I thought the application I should buy is A, as it is mentioned in the website. Now I see that it is application B.

It is the full sentence. Is using "as it is mentioned" correct here?

peptidoglycan

Turkish
    To me,
    I thought the car is expensive as it is mentioned in the advertisement. :cross:
    I thought the car is expensive as is mentioned in the advertisement. :tick:
    I thought the car is expensive as mentioned in the advertisement. :tick:

In the first sentence we don't use the word "it". If we use the word "it", "as" in the given sentence means "because".

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    It is only "correct" if it means what you want it to mean. What do you want it to mean?
    I want "as" to mean "because".
    paraphrase: I thought I should but application A because it is mentioned in the website as the application needed for this device, but you sent me some files and now I see that it is application B that I have to buy.

Then this sentence is grammatically correct now?

I thought the application I should buy is A, as it is mentioned in the website. Now I see that it is application B.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Then this sentence is grammatically correct now?

Yes, that "as" clearly means "because". That is how I would write it.

< Previous | Next >