as long as it is wide

TNdaSZ

Chinese - China
"She is as beautiful as she is smart." If I understand correctly, it means she's both beautiful and smart right?

But what does "The swimming pool is as long as it is wide" mean?
The pool is both long and wide? That sounds wierd. Why not just say "The pool is big" instead?

• Language Hound

American English
    ...If I understand correctly, it means she's both beautiful and smart right?
    More precisely, she is equally beautiful and smart.
    But what does "The swimming pool is as long as it is wide" mean?
    The pool is both long and wide? That sounds wierd. Why not just say "The pool is big" instead?
    Again, technically this means that the pool width is equal to the pool length, which would make it a square!
    "The pool is big" does not compare the length to the width.

P.S. "Weird" is an exception to the "i before e except after c" rule/guideline.

emre aydın

Turkish
    "The swimming pool is as long as it is wide."

Is it a natural sentence? Would you prefer to say it in daily language?

TNdaSZ

Chinese - China
    More precisely, she is equally beautiful and smart.

Again, technically this means that the pool width is equal to the pool length, which would make it a square!
    "The pool is big" does not compare the length to the width.

P.S. "Weird" is an exception to the "i before e except after c" rule/guideline.
    As a non native speaker I find it difficult to understand "She is equally beautiful and smart".
    "The pool's length is equal to its width" is much more understand because length and width are quantifiable so they can be equal.
    But what does it mean to have equal beautifulness and smartness?
    What does it tell us when making a comparison as such?
    Could you rephrase this concept to something more common?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    She is very unattractive and very dim witted.
    She is moderately pretty and moderately bright.
    She is extremely attractive and extremely clever.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    All of them, though most of the time I think it would be the last one that is relevant.

Language Hound

American English
    As a non native speaker I find it difficult to understand "She is equally beautiful and smart".
    "The pool's length is equal to its width" is much more understand because length and width are quantifiable so they can be equal.
    What does it tell us when making a comparison as such?
    Could you rephrase this concept to something more common?
    The only way I can think of to rephrase this is the way you did in your initial post:
    She is equally beautiful and smart = She is as beautiful as she is smart.
    It might help you to think of it in terms of the following:
    There are some people who are very smart but not very good-looking/beautiful.
    There are some people who are very good-looking/beautiful but not very smart.
    And then, as in this case, there are some people who are both good-looking/beautiful and smart.
    Though it is true that looks and intelligence are not as easily quantifiable as, say, length and width,
    we often will say that someone is "as beautiful as she is smart" to stress that the person is both beautiful and smart,
    that neither beauty nor brains is the person's sole predominant characteristic: Instead they are equally predominant.

TNdaSZ

Chinese - China
    The only way I can think of to rephrase this is the way you did in your initial post:
    She is equally beautiful and smart = She is as beautiful as she is smart.
    It might help you to think of it in terms of the following:
    There are some people who are very smart but not very good-looking/beautiful.
    There are some people who are very good-looking/beautiful but not very smart.
    And then, as in this case, there are some people who are both good-looking/beautiful and smart.
    Though it is true that looks and intelligence are not as easily quantifiable as, say, length and width,
    we often will say that someone is "as beautiful as she is smart" to stress that the person is both beautiful and smart,
    that neither beauty nor brains is the person's sole predominant characteristic: Instead they are equally predominant.
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply! I believe now I understand it

< Previous | Next >