as lost as I get, I will find you

jscottseptembre

Banned
American English
Salut

"as lost as I get, I wll find you". J'ai du mal à rendre ça en français

"aussi perdu que je deviendrai, je te retrouverai" ? Ca sonne un peu bizarre, non ?

vos propositions ?

• parmitage77

English
    Salut, je dirais "...perdu que je deviens, je te trouverai"

however, I am not sure about what is meant by the word "as". In your translation, it has been used comparatively (e.g. I am as happy as you= je suis aussi content que toi) but I read it to mean something more like 'however' or 'no matter', in which case I would translate it as either: "n'importe comment" or "cependant"

I hope that this has been helpful for you. Again, as I said, the translation into french would depend on the meaning of "as" in the original, english text! :)

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    Note that aussi, like as in English, can also mean however, etc., but it is better to use si in this case. Anyway, the phrase must be in the subjunctive:

Si/Aussi perdu que je sois, je te retrouverai.

Last edited:

Pedro y La Torre

English (Ireland)
    I'm confused about the English sentence, as lost as I get indicates that one is sure to get lost, but who would ever set out to purposely get lost? ''However lost I may get'', removes that problem. The French subjunctive indicates this element of possibility, as does Lly4n4's ''Même si je me perds...''

Lly4n4

Français (France)
    I also think that this sentence is a bit strange (both in French and in English), but it is OK if it is for some poetry or love letter... I've added the "Même si" form for daily use sake.

But the subjonctive in "Aussi perdu(e) que je sois, je te trouverai." is just a matter of the French expression, it doesn't formally indicate possibility.
    "Aussi content que je sois de te voir, si tu pouvais me laisser respirer..." is an idiomatic way of saying "I'm happy you're finally here, but please cut the hugging and kissing thing". In fact, I am really happy to see you, but I have to use the subjonctive form in French :)

Last edited:

Emillyb

UK English
    I'm confused about the English sentence, as lost as I get indicates that one is sure to get lost, but who would ever set out to purposely get lost? ''However lost I may get'', removes that problem. The French subjunctive indicates this element of possibility, as does Lly4n4's ''Même si je me perds...''
    'As lost as I get' doesn't indicate certainty. The meaning is the same as 'However lost I may get', just not so explicitly put.

petit1

français - France
    Même au bout du monde, je te retrouverai.
    But it depends on the context. Is it a threat? Is it a love affair?

< Previous | Next >