as lost to him as

DoritoChizu

French
Hello everyone!
I'm new on this forum and I have a question that I have not found on the forum. I have to translate a text from English to French, and one sentence says:
"He could only mean one thing: she had a lover, and that was why she spent her days in London, as lost to him as if she had vanished in another continent."
I translated the whole sentence EXCEPT FOR "as lost to him as"
I tried to look for it everywhere but I could not find anyhing. Please, someone help me? I would appreciate it!

• moustic

British English
    Hello and welcome to the forum Dorito Chizu.

... as lost to him as if ... -> (littéralement) pour lui, elle était aussi perdue que ... (c'était comme si elle s'était volatilisée ...)

snarkhunter

French - France
    Bonjour, et bienvenue sur ce forum,

Je pense qu'il s'agit ici d'un sens purement figuré, exprimant l'obsession de cette femme pour son amoureux (ou son amant). Ce qui était ici "lost", c'était ... l'autonomie de sa pensée et de ses sentiments.

... On peut peut-être jouer sur les mots en utilisant l'épithète "éperdue" ?

DoritoChizu

French
    Thanks/merci for your answers!

Je pensais également que c'était de sens figuré. Eperdue me convient. Merci beaucoup!

moustic

British English
    A bit more context would be helpful, but I don't think that "him" refers to the lover here.
    For me, the woman is literally lost as regards the husband (or current boyfriend).

Besides that, I doubt that I would ever translate "éperdue" as "lost".

DoritoChizu

French
    Oh, as for the context, the text is about a man questionning his wife, asking her if she wants to divorce, because he suspects her to have an affair with someone else. It comes from a book called "To Room Ninteen", by Doris Lessing.

Datadox

French
    "Him" in "as lost to him" refers to the husband.

A synonym for "lost" here could "estranged" or "alienated".

En clair, il a l'impression de l'avoir perdue, et il pense que c'est parce qu'elle a un amant qu'elle n'est plus aussi proche de lui qu'avant.

es·tranged
    iˈstrānjd/

adjective
    adjective: estranged

• (of a person) no longer close or affectionate to someone; alienated.
      "Harriet felt more estranged from her daughter than ever"
      • (of a wife or husband) no longer living with their spouse.
        past participle: estranged

< Previous | Next >