as mentioned earlier VS as earlier mentioned

< Previous | Next >

T.D

mandarin
Hi all,

I know 'as mentioned earlier' is a perfectly good phrase and I see them being used a lot.

Just wondering is it interchangeable with 'as earlier mentioned'?

For example:

A. As mentioned earlier, this is a significant discovery that may change the world.

B. As earlier mentioned, this is a significant discovery that may change the world.

Is sentence B grammatically correct? Does it sound natural to native ears?

Any help is appreciated.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    No, you can't move 'earlier' around like that.

I can't explain why. There are other words with similar meanings that can be moved. To me, these two sound acceptable:
    As mentioned previously​
    As previously mentioned​

T.D

mandarin
    No, you can't move 'earlier' around like that.

I can't explain why. There are other words with similar meanings that can be moved. To me, these two sound acceptable:
    As mentioned previously​
    As previously mentioned​
    Thank you Cagey, and I feel the exact same way as you. I don't know why but 'As earlier mentioned' just sounds weird to me.

In fact, I googled it before I post this thread, and there happens to be an interesting thread on Quora about 'As previously mentioned' vs 'As mentioned previously', and here is a reply from a published author:

"As I previously mentioned" is better, but a second problem is "previously." It's an ugly, writerly adverb. You would never talk like that, would you? You'd probably say something like "as I mentioned earlier" or "as I mentioned before."

It's interesting that in the two examples he gave, the adverbs are both after 'mentioned', almost like an instinct, or at least habit.

So is it safe to say, I should not use 'As earlier mentioned' instead of 'As mentioned earlier'?

< Previous | Next >