as mentioned in the e-mail from/of (date)

jobu79

German
Hello,

I sometimes still get very confused with prepositions in English..

So here is the frase: "as mentioned in the e-mail from 09.07.2012"

i.e. my intention is to refer back to an e-mail that has been send/received on that date. My intuition tells me this sounds very German... would it be OF instead of FROM?? Can I frase it at all this way???

I would appreciate some clarification!!

Thanks, J

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I agree completely with HeyPresto. Also, we'd refer to the sender of the e-mail, since the date alone doesn't identify the message: "my e-mail" or "your e-mail" or "____'s e-mail".

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Parla is acutely conscious of this confusion and has for years been writing the date (on correspondence, checks, etc.) in the form "25 July 2013".

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I agree with heypresto that of is better than from. Sometimes, I avoid it altogether and write 'as mentioned in your email, sent (on) 25th July 2013, ...'

(I suppose the way of writing the date would be fine if your email was within Europe, but would adjust it if it was likely to be read in North America. It is sometimes unavoidable, and our cheques have boxes, so I'm obliged to write 26.07.13 for today.)

heypresto

English - England
    I just want to clarify my comment about the date. I was in no way trying to suggest that one way of writing it is any more 'correct' than any other - merely that there is a difference between the way we tend to do it and the way they do it in the US. :)

< Previous | Next >