As mixed as (they are) predictable

< Previous | Next >

blasita

Spain. Left seven years ago
Hello.

Context: voluntary work/volunteering. I've been trying to get experiences, opinions etc. on this topic to give an informal lecture at university. And I want to say the following:

"The results, findings, etc. are as mixed as predictable". But someone corrected me and said that it must be: "... as they are predictable". I think it's possible to use both, but I'd like to have your opinion on this.

Thank you for your help.

• Loob

English UK
    Hi blasita:)

Do you want to say that you could have predicted the findings, or that you could have predicted that the findings would be mixed?

blasita

Hello Loob.:)

I think that the second one is closer: I could have predicted that the findings would be mixed (that they were going to be mixed but also they were predictable).

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Ah - in that case, I would say "The findings/results are, predictably, mixed".

Both your original sentence and the suggested re-write someone gave you imply that the findings/results were (a) predictable and (b) mixed:).

--------

LATER EDIT: A couple of further thoughts:

An alternative to my sentence would be: "Predictably, the findings/results are mixed."

If you did want to say that the findings/results are both predictable and mixed - predictable as well as mixed - then your friend's suggested re-write would be the more natural way of saying it....

Last edited:

blasita

Many thanks, Loob.

I apologise (Loob and Paul) because I'm afraid I didn't actually express it correctly (I'm afraid I misunderstood your question).:eek: It's about your last point, Loob. Thank you and sorry again. Hope that your explanation will be useful to someone else as well.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    There's absolutely no need to apologise, blasita!:)

(I just hope I was helpful....)

blasita

Well, actually I feel really bad about it.:eek: Thank you very much for your comment and everything, Loob.:)

< Previous | Next >