as much a sign ... as

< Previous | Next >
Ford’s announcement this week that it would cut up to 30.000 jobs by 2012 was as much a sign of it’s “legacy” health–care costs as of the ills of the car industry.

Hello everyone,

Please help me with the above sentence! I cannot make clear its structure at all.

1. I think it's is used wrong.
2. as much a sign ... as of ----> Does it mean It's much a sign that indicates the health–care costs situation is as serious as those ills of the car industry?

Thank you in advance!

• Gwan

New Zealand, English
    It's certainly is wrong. It's, as you evidently know = it is, its is the possessive. It's a mistake made frequently by native speakers.
    The sentence's a bit complicated to explain, I would say that the job cuts are due equally to the health-care costs and to the general problems in the car industry.

Lexiphile

England English
    Yes IT's is certainly wrong. It should be its.

Yes again. The health-care system, which was presumably left over from some earlier time when medical care was much cheaper, is sapping the company finances just as much as other problems related to the manufacturing of cars.

as much a sign of its “legacy” health–care costs as of the ills of the car industry.

Thank you both for your quick replies.

Still, I'm not sure about the structure here. What has been omitted between as of ? or does as of simply mean about / concerning or something else?

Trisia

Romanian
    Gwan and Lexiphile already explained and paraphrased the sentence for you, and I think they did a fine job.

There's nothing missing there: it just means that the announcement Ford made are signs of (reveal) two problems: the health-care costs and those of the car industry

Her crush on him is as much a result of his cleverness as of his charm - she's having a crush on him because he's clever and charming.

His bringing her a single rose is as much a sign of his stinginess as of the fact that roses are expensive.

Lexiphile

England English
    No, the as is paired with the previous as. ...as much a sign... as the ills... and the of serves the same purpose as the previous of. ...of its legacy health-care... of the car industry.
    Think of "it is as long as it is wide." The two as's work as a pair here, too, to make the descriptions "parallel."

< Previous | Next >