as much as? Comparison?

natasha_139

Chinese
Hi I found this sentence is really hard to get the idea of the author. Please help me.Thank you!

"The abiding impression is of a lurching forward,of Kenya as much as Mr. Wanaina."

Does it mean Kenya's current situation is lurching forward the same as waht Mr.Wanaina wrote?

More context"The abiding impression is of a lurching forward, of Kenya as much as Mr Wainaina. British goods disappear and are replaced by radios from Taiwan,
then mobile phones manufactured in China. Colonial institutions decay, hedges become overgrown and then are cut down. Is this something to mourn?"

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    The abiding impression is of a lurching forward of Kenya, as much as it is a lurching forward of Mr. Wanaina.

I don't know who Mr. Wanaina is, but I doubt that he's the author -- probably someone mentioned or profiled in the article.

natasha_139

Chinese
    The abiding impression is of a lurching forward of Kenya, as much as it is a lurching forward of Mr. Wanaina.

I don't know who Mr. Wanaina is, but I doubt that he's the author -- probably someone mentioned or profiled in the article.
    This is abstracted from one article from Economist.com. Mr.Wanaina is an African writer. The article I read is critics about Mr.Wanaina's new book.
    Here's the link of the article http://www.economist.com/node/18956046?story_id=18956046

Copyright

American English
    Binyavanga Wainaina may be the author of the book, but he is not the author of the review of a "Memoir of Kenya" -- someone connected to The Economist is. If you look at the paragraph before, you find these observations and more:

Mr Wainaina is not helped by poor editing, with many repetitions.
    Mostly, the fault is his own.
    There is a lack of heft ...
    His own observations ... are slapdash.

So Wainaina is, in the eyes of the reviewer, lurching forward -- there is no smooth story told in this book, with fluency and chronology and clarity.

natasha_139

Chinese
    Binyavanga Wainaina may be the author of the book, but he is not the author of the review of a "Memoir of Kenya" -- someone connected to The Economist is. If you look at the paragraph before, you find these observations and more:

Mr Wainaina is not helped by poor editing, with many repetitions.
    Mostly, the fault is his own.
    There is a lack of heft ...
    His own observations ... are slapdash.

So Wainaina is, in the eyes of the reviewer, lurching forward -- there is no smooth story told in this book, with fluency and chronology and clarity.

Sure I know who Mr.Wainaina is,but not sure of "of a lurching forward, of Kenya as much as of Wainaina". After reading your explaination,I think I can translate critics' intention now. Thank you!

Copyright

American English
    Sure I know who Mr.Wainaina is,but not sure of "of a lurching forward, of Kenya as much as of Wainaina". After reading your explaination,I think I can translate critics' intention now. Thank you!
    You're quite welcome ... I was just explaining my original comment: I don't know who Mr. Wanaina is, but I doubt that he's the author.

I just wanted to say that while he's an author, he's not the author of the piece we're reading. :)

natasha_139

Chinese
    You're quite welcome ... I was just explaining my original comment: I don't know who Mr. Wanaina is, but I doubt that he's the author.

I just wanted to say that while he's an author, he's not the author of the piece we're reading. :)
    I just wanted to say that while he's an author, he's not the author of the piece we're reading. ---Yes,I knew this point. Anyway,thanks as I can finally translate that article into Chinese.

< Previous | Next >