As much as I <really want><would like> to help you

Lancel0t

Philippines - Filipino
Greetings!

Guys, i need some help because I am confused between these two sentences. Which is correct (if there is),

- As much as I would like to help you .....
- As much as I really want to help you...

Thanks in advance.

• Jana337

čeština
    Hi, nice to see you here:)
    The first sentence is absolutely correct. The word "really" in the second one irritates me. It looks much better if you drop it.

Jana

Lora

UK, English
    I agree, the first one sounds better.
    The tone of the second one is...I don't know, but the first one definitely sounds better, though I think that they're both correct.

Edwin

USA / Native Language: English
    jz337 said:
    The first sentence is absolutely correct. The word "really" in the second one irritates me. It looks much better if you drop it.

Maybe it reminds you of the Boy George lyric:

Do you really want to hurt me :eek:

Jana337

čeština
    Edwin said:
    Maybe it reminds you of the Boy George lyric:

Do you really want to hurt me :eek:

:) A cute remark, Edwin :)
    The forum is obviously diversifying into depth psychology:thumbsup:

Jana

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Lancel0t said:
    Greetings!

Guys, i need some help because I am confused between these two sentences. Which is correct (if there is),

- As much as I really want to help you...

Thanks in advance.

I think the second one is ok if you want to be emphatic. It would sound perfectly natural in such a context.

Either way, of course, they are both grammatically correct.

Hope this helps. :)

Sharon

United States, English
    - As much as I want to help you...

Lancelot,

I think without the "really" - either sentence is good. It seems to me that the "As much as" at the beginning implies that you do want to help. I may not know how much, but it sounds like a lot!! :D Adding the "really" in there is a little too much, it's overkill.

Hope that helps!
    Sharon.:)

jacinta

USA English
    I agree with Sharon.

To me, adding really to the second sentences gives a tone of insincerity. By saying "As much as I'd really like to help you...", what the person is actually saying (to my ears) is: I don't have time for you right now. You are not as important as my lunch and I am asking your forgiveness, but you probably won't forgive me because you know that I really don't want to help you, I'd rather eat my lunch.

Lora

UK, English
    jacinta said:
    I agree with Sharon.

To me, adding really to the second sentences gives a tone of insincerity. By saying "As much as I'd really like to help you...", what the person is actually saying (to my ears) is: I don't have time for you right now. You are not as important as my lunch and I am asking your forgiveness, but you probably won't forgive me because you know that I really don't want to help you, I'd rather eat my lunch.

Yup that's what I meant!

"As much as I really want to help you....I'm not going to"

With the first sentence it might be that you really can't help them, ie. you don't know how to help them, or you don't have time, or you just can't be bothered...but it still sounds very polite.
    However the second sentence, and I guess it has a lot to do with tone and intonation and stuff like that, sounds much more as though you really don't want to help at all. Perhaps that you would be able to, but are just not willing to.

That's how it comes across - the first one is much more polite.