as much as the governments of developed countries 'which' pay attention to seniors.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Mike2947, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Mike2947 Senior Member

Chinese
    Hi

Is "which" necessary?

"The governments of underdeveloped and developing countries do not pay attention to seniors and elderly people as much as the governments of developed countries which pay attention to seniors."

Regards,

2. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    1. "The governments of underdeveloped and developing countries do not pay attention to seniors and elderly people as much as the governments of developed countries which pay attention to seniors."

2. "The governments of underdeveloped and developing countries do not pay attention to seniors and elderly people as much as the governments of developed countries pay attention to seniors."

(1) compares the red phrases ... compares the two different sets of governments.

(2) compares the red phrases ... compares the extent to which different governments pay attention to seniors.

In other words, removing "which" changes the meaning of the sentence.

3. Mike2947 Senior Member

Chinese
    Frankly speaking, I need to say it is like a riddle for me! Could you please let me know which one means "The government of developed countries pay more attention to elderly people than the governments of underdeveloped countries"? and could you please rephrase the other sentence with "more" for me!
    PS: It seems your first example implies the meaning I'm looking for. But please rephrase the other sentence for me as well:)

Your help is totally appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  4. Mike2947 Senior Member

Chinese
    I have been thinking for around 1 hour and yet I have not understood the differences clearly! I would appreciate it, if anybody could demystify it for me!

5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Frankly, Panjandrum has confused me, too! Returning to your original sentence:
    You asked if "which" is necessary. No, it isn't. In fact, not only "which" should drop; so should everything that comes after it. Just put a period after "developed countries." It will then say what you want to say (according to post #3): that the governments of developed countries pay more attention to the elderly than the governments of underdeveloped countries.

6. Sakukoivu Member

Canada-english
    I wholly agree with Parla.
    On a side note, if you were to use "which" I would recommend using "do" afterwards to emphasize the difference [between the countries' attitudes towards seniors].