As much as X, Y. = Because of how much X, Y.

siares

Slovak
Dear all,
I'd like to ask about this review of series finale, where the reviewer complains that not all the characters' storylines were wrapped up, for example character X was ignored.

Only five characters mattered in the end — A, B, C, D and E. That makes sense, to some degree. But as much as we grew to like X and the rest of the crew, to wrap things up with no resolution or hint of their future feels incomplete.
Dexter Series Finale Recap: A Terrible EndBy Richard Rys Dexter Series Finale Recap: A Terrible End

'As much as we do' is not used concessively. Based on the advice below, the usage is not recommended in present tense.
I suppose this is true for past tense (OP)?

If so, is there an improvement, analogous to the Edinburgher's advice below to use continuous form for present tense case?

Thank you.
rearranged quote
a. As hard as you work, the job will soon be done. ...
I suppose the meaning would be: Considering how hard you work, the job will soon be done. ...
(A) is [...] wrong, or at least not to be recommended. This is because when we begin a sentence with something like "As hard as you work," there is often an element of "although/despite" involved, as if it said "No matter how hard you work," and I would expect it to be followed by "you will never get the job done on time."
If you mean that the job will soon be done because of your hard work, you can still use the same structure, but should use the progressive form:
"As hard as you are working, the job will soon be done."

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I would agree that we are so used to seeing this construct to introduce a "but", that many people would simply choose to avoid it, especially in a relatively long sentence where it takes a second or two to figure out that it's not this "but" usage. I would prefer "Given how much..."

< Previous | Next >