as much as

< Previous | Next >

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi, everyone

I am writing an essay about the role of reading in the early literacy development.

Here is an excerpt:

As much as research has been carried out, to some people the role of reading in early childhood seems to be a contentious area. Despite that, however controversial it may appear once in a while, the benefits of reading are more and more evident.

I would like to know if it is wrong to use "as much as" as I did. I mean something like: no matter how much research is carried out/ however much research is carried out/much as research is carried out... Can't I say that?... It's something along the lines of "however controversial", which I used in the next sentence.

Thank you

Last edited:
  • joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Hi Disturbance, I don't think the problem is the way the research was carried out.
    Gabriel, I think what you need here is "despite" or "notwithstanding."

Despite the findings of research..
    Notwithstanding the conclusions of research....

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Hi Disturbance, I don't think the problem is the way the research was carried out.
    Gabriel, I think what you need here is "despite" or "notwithstanding."

Despite the findings of research..
    Notwithstanding the conclusions of research....
    Thank you, Joanvillafane. I will use "notwithstanding"

But doesn't "as much as", at the beggining of the first sentence, have the same sense as "however + adjective (controversial), in the next sentence? Couldn't I just use however again?

"However much (as much as/no matter how much) research has been done... ?

< Previous | Next >