As much fun as bull terriers in nudist camp

mosquitoe

Chinese-Taiwan
Hello!

I've been reading the book "The White Darkness" by Geraldine McCaughrean, it's a young adult novel which sets in Antarctic, and there's two paragraphs I can't really catch the meaning, the first one is: (I'll post the second one in another thread)

I remember him signing a form..."parent or guardian." That's good. I don't mind. Maxine would. Maxine says parents are as much fun as bull terriers in a nudist camp.

Question: I know that Maxine must mean parents are dull or something, not really "fun", but what's the connection between bull terriers and nudist camp?

Thank you!

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    To expand Biblio's explanation: bull terriers are famously fierce breed of dog - they used to be bred for fighting, and they have the reputation that when they bite something they don't let go.

LnGwStX

English, USA
    I would like to add that I have never heard the expression before, so it may not be a very common idiom, but I understood it immediately because I know the dog's reputation and can imagine what would be scary about the nudist camp -- for a man, anyway. So it's probably a case of the writer using colorful language to drive a point home, and it isn't necessarily a statement one would have encountered previously.

mosquitoe

Chinese-Taiwan
    Thanks everyone, these are helpful information! Just one more thing: so the word "fun" in this sentence meant "annoying" for their kids or just "not fun"?

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    No - fun means fun, not annoying. "As much fun as" = "Equally as fun as". A bull terrier at a nudist camp would not be very much fun at all. Parents are the same: not very much fun at all.

< Previous | Next >