As much fun as bull terriers in nudist camp

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mosquitoe, Jan 5, 2009.

1. mosquitoe New Member

Chinese-Taiwan
    Hello!

I've been reading the book "The White Darkness" by Geraldine McCaughrean, it's a young adult novel which sets in Antarctic, and there's two paragraphs I can't really catch the meaning, the first one is: (I'll post the second one in another thread)

I remember him signing a form..."parent or guardian." That's good. I don't mind. Maxine would. Maxine says parents are as much fun as bull terriers in a nudist camp.

Question: I know that Maxine must mean parents are dull or something, not really "fun", but what's the connection between bull terriers and nudist camp?

Thank you!

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Well, if you're a man then there are parts of you exposed if you are nude, parts that you'd rather a rambunctious dog not have any chance of biting...

3. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    To expand Biblio's explanation: bull terriers are famously fierce breed of dog - they used to be bred for fighting, and they have the reputation that when they bite something they don't let go.

4. LnGwStX Member

Arizona
    English, USA
    I would like to add that I have never heard the expression before, so it may not be a very common idiom, but I understood it immediately because I know the dog's reputation and can imagine what would be scary about the nudist camp -- for a man, anyway. So it's probably a case of the writer using colorful language to drive a point home, and it isn't necessarily a statement one would have encountered previously.

5. mosquitoe New Member

Chinese-Taiwan
    Thanks everyone, these are helpful information! Just one more thing: so the word "fun" in this sentence meant "annoying" for their kids or just "not fun"?

6. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    I think that I could encapsulate the intended meaning by saying that parents are the opposite of fun for those kids.

7. cycloneviv

cycloneviv Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    English - Australia
    No - fun means fun, not annoying. "As much fun as" = "Equally as fun as". A bull terrier at a nudist camp would not be very much fun at all. Parents are the same: not very much fun at all.

8. mosquitoe New Member

Chinese-Taiwan
    Thank you, bibliolept and cycloneviv, thoroughly clear now.:)