as much or more so as

jing ping

Chinese - Mandarin
From podcast
Piano Teacher: Remember that as a pianist or any other musician, your technique will be what separates you from the pack just as much or more so as your musicianship.

In terms of grammar, should it be "as much or more so as" or "as much or as more so as"?
In the podcast, it seems to be the latter while in the transcript it reads the former.

• jing ping

Chinese - Mandarin
    It should be “just as much as, or more so than, your musicianship”.
    Thank you. But I'm sure there is no "than" in the podcast.
    So could it be "just as much, or more so, as", where "or more so" is used as an interjection?

lingobingo

English - England
    Just because someone says something, that doesn’t mean it’s right!

more than :tick:
    more as :cross:

A version that would be correct is:

just as much as your musicianship, or [even] more so.

jing ping

Chinese - Mandarin
    A version that would be correct is:

just as much as your musicianship, or [even] more so.
    Yeah! So the speaker changed the position of "or [even] more so" and moved it to the middle of the sentence, which seems to be incorrect in grammar.

jing ping

Chinese - Mandarin
    I found these two sentences.
    "That one came as more so as a poem,” Perley recalled. “I write a lot of songs as little poems and little scenes in my head. It's kind of like a broken character, but there's some beauty.”
    " I see this as more so as an irrelevant attempt to lash out at a system that used her flaws to pay her and she realized she was being paid to play the jolly fat bit part. "
    Now I'm confused. Maybe it's a colloquial expression for some people, although it's incorrect.

jing ping

Chinese - Mandarin
    What are the sources of those two sentences, jing ping?
    I found them on google. One is from an article and the other one is from a comment section.
    Sorry that I couldn't add links now. Because every time I added links in my message, it always showed it was awaiting moderator approval and was invisible. And the inspection process took too long.

S1m0n

English
    I'd see both of those as errors. There are existing phrases "more so" and 'see it as more as', and it looks to me like they are being conflated by speakers who don't have strong command of the language.

jing ping

Chinese - Mandarin
    I'd see both of those as errors. There are existing phrases "more so" and 'see it as more as', and it looks to me like they are being conflated by speakers who don't have strong command of the language.
    Thank you!
    And do you think "just as much as your musicianship, or more so" is acceptable?

S1m0n

English
    Edited to say I didn't read your question carefully. Yes, that's it.
    Initial version:
    I'd rearrange it slightly to eliminate the confusing string of prepositions:
    "...your technique will be what separates you from the pack just as much as your musicianship, or more so."

jing ping

Chinese - Mandarin
    I'd rearrange it slightly to eliminate the confusing string of prepositions:
    "...your technique will be what separates you from the pack just as much as your musicianship, or more so."
    This is the conclusive answer. I do appreciate your help. :)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    That one came as more so as a poem,” Perley recalled. “I write a lot of songs as little poems and little scenes in my head. It's kind of like a broken character, but there's some beauty.”
    The text is from a truncated transcript of an interview:(. The speaker is searching for her words, and the sentence as actually spoken is interspersed with a couple of kind of's, which show that she hasn't prepared her words. In speech, this kind of error or mis-speaking is very common. She's just struggling a little to express herself.

jing ping

Chinese - Mandarin
    The text is from a truncated transcript of an interview:(. The speaker is searching for her words, and the sentence as actually spoken is interspersed with a couple of kind of's, which show that she hasn't prepared her words. In speech, this kind of error or mis-speaking is very common. She's just struggling a little to express herself.
    Yes, I'm with you there. Thank you for your thorough analysis.

< Previous | Next >