<As, Now that, Since> scientist collected more fossils ...

< Previous | Next >

elyssia

chinese
Hello
____scientists collected more fossiles of prehistoric people ,they began to form a clearer picture of what these early people looked like .
A Since B As C Now that

I know all the three words can be used to intruduce a reason clause , but what are the distictions when they are used , could you please illustrate with examples , then I can feel their different senses !
I choose A , answer given is B.

Thanks first !

• boonognog

English (U.S.)
    Hello, elyssia!

In this example, B is the only correct choice. This is because the main sentence, "...they began to form a clearer picture...", is written in the past progressive mode, indicating a continuing course of action. The only subordinating conjunction in the list that would also relate a continuing course of action is "as".

As scientists collected more fossiles of prehistoric people, they began to form a clearer picture of what these early people looked like.

Both of the other choices would require an adjustment to the mode in either the supporting clause or the main clause, or maybe both.

Since scientists had collected more fossiles of prehistoric people, they were able to form a clearer picture of what these early people looked like.

[Note: English can be very confusing! "As" has many meanings. Although it can also mean "because", the meaning we are using in this example is "while".]

elyssia

chinese
    ok , Isee the usage in this sentence , but still I can't distinguish them when they are used to indicate " the reason "! Could you please make some examples to illustrate their distictive use ?

Yichen

Chinese
    Please let me insert another question here.

_______ everybody is here, Let’s set off.
    A.Since
    B.Because
    C.For
    D.Now that

It's said the key to the question is option A. Is it really true?
    I feel either since, now that, or because works here---or rather, I don't really know what is the basic difference between since and now that when they are used to refer to reason.

Thank you.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    It looks to me as if (A) Since could be used with the same meaning as (B) Because, and in fact either would fit the limited context they've given here. (D) Now that is the one that sounds most natural to me as a native speaker but really the only one which doesn't work at all is (C) For.

< Previous | Next >