as obstinate as a mule.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

If I want to say someone who is obstinate, is it very old-fashioned to say things like this:

She was/is as obstinate as a mule.

Thanks a lot

• Sharifa345

USA
    US English, DR Spanish
    Hi,

If I want to say someone who is obstinate, is it very old-fashioned to say things like this:

She was/is as obstinate as a mule.

Thanks a lot
    If you change "obstinate" to "stubborn," you have a very common expression.

She's as stubborn as a mule.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Probably "stubborn" is commonly regarded as a set expression while the latter one is usually considered as a new but understandable phrase.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    COCA (Corpus of Contemporary American English, 1990-2011) has 11 occurrences of stubborn as a mule and none for obstinate as a mule.

BNC (British National Corpus, 1980s-1993) has 3 occurrences of stubborn as a mule and none for obstinate as a mule.

BUT the COHA (Corpus of Historical American English 1810s-2000) has 20 occurrences of stubborn as a mule and 19 occurrences of obstinate as a mule. Here's an example:

Never would take my advice. Obstinate as a mule. But I'll pay her out yet, ha, ha! Forgery! Scandal, ha, ha! (Houghton Townley, The Scarlet Feather, 1909)
    Seems to confirm what other people have said. I think you can still say obstinate as a mule, but it sounds more literary.

Last edited:

boozer

Bulgarian
    Seems to confirm what other people have said. I think you can still say obstinate as a mule, but it sounds more literary.
    Indeed, "obstinate" sounds to me just a tad fancier, somehow. It did not strike me as something unheard of or inconceivable, though I couldn't, for the life of me, know why it seemed familiar. Now that I think of it, I may have picked it up at school from some ancient :D source, the kind used in my school books in the 80s and 90s.

(Back then, anything written in the 30s to 50s and used as a sample of English in our books was considered to be contemporary English, latest fashion. The average age of the sources used was about 1.5 centuries :D)

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Hello,

The Oxford English Dictionary gives an example of 'as obstinate as a mule':
    1809–12 M. Edgeworth Absentee xiii, She was as obstinate as a mule on that point.

< Previous | Next >