as of January

ilikephoebe

Chinese Mandarin
Hello, everyone.
Just out of curiosity, I always deals with some company report.
If they say "As of January, we had 2000 full-time employees.".
Could "as of January" mean any date on January? Or it means last day of the month by default?

In my opinion, if my company had 2000 employees on Jan. 15th, I would say "as of January" no matter what.

Last edited:
  • RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Yes, the January part is OK. The verb tense may cause problems. You might have to say something like, "As of this month, January, we have 2000 full-time employees."

Last edited:

ilikephoebe

Chinese Mandarin
    Yes, the January part is Ok. The verb tense may cause problems. You might have to say something like, "As of this month, January, we have 2000 full-time employees.".
    Sorry, I omitted the verb tense. Now I have corrected the original post.
    What I really want to know is if "as of January"(the form without designation of exact date) literally mean "as of the last day of January"?

suzi br

English / England
    I wouldn't make any assumptions about what exact DATE "as of" refers to. It is too vague a phrase for anything that needs precision. It is OK to mean "at some point in January" we had 2000 employees.

I cannot really think of any times I have heard this, but I might even go for it meaning the START of the month, not the end. But it is vague and useful for giving a "rough" idea not for a precise time point.

< Previous | Next >