as of this writing

Jina Jeong

korean
Hello.

I was wondering what the underlined part means.

Her favorite YouTube video as of this writing is a 12-minute rant by Last Week Tonight's John Oliver on why mandating paid maternity leave is a really good idea.

Could you help me?

Thank you in advance!

• rhitagawr

British English
    Where did you get this, Jina? It's not right at all. I think it means at the time of writing. When the writer wrote this, her favourite video was Last...

Jina Jeong

korean
    Where did you get this, Jina? It's not right at all. I think it means at the time of writing. When the writer wrote this, her favourite video was Last...
    I got it from an article of the TIME magazine(SEPT. 7/SEPT14, 2015).
    I will give you the whole paragragh although I am not sure if it helps.

Not surprisingly she's a big advocate of paid family leave. Her favorite YouTube video as of this writing is a 12-minute rant by Last Week Tonight's John Oliver on why mandating paid maternity leave is a really good idea. On the other hand, she is a realist. New parents who work at Google get 18 weeks's leave, but since her fifth was born last December, she has taken only 14.

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    It is a way to say "at the time this was written". It may be more journalist jargon than correct English - I am frankly not sure - but it is understandable.

rhitagawr

British English
    I thought it might be AM, but LVRBC says it isn't. I agree that journalists live in a linguistic world of their own.

Last edited: