as opposed the V

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does "as opposed the V" mean "as corresponding to the V"? But I don't understand the grammar "as opposed." We are used to use "as opposed to", which means completely different to, rather than corresponding to.

The footnote is as it appeared in the 1923 edition. The 1923 English translation modified the notation used in Einstein's 1905 paper to conform to that in use by the 1920's; for example, c denotes the speed of light, as opposed the V used by Einstein in 1905.

-This electronic edition was prepared by John Walker in March 2001.

Source

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    The phrase "as opposed to," by itself, does not mean that one thing is substituted for another, if that's what you're asking.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    The phrase "as opposed to," by itself, does not mean that one thing is substituted for another, if that's what you're asking.
    Alas. That is exactly the question I was asking and it remains unresolved. Because what the author meant is that "in the past, we used V to denote the speed of light; now we use c to denote the speed of light." It is not "opposed to," rather, it is "substitute c for V."

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    Okay now we are back to square one.

So you are saying "c denotes the speed of light, as opposed (to) the V used by Einstein in 1905" means:

The author means, "Einstein used the letter V in 1905. The 1923 translation used the letter c instead."
    That is, "as opposed to the V" means "substituting (c) for V."

If so, why are you saying "No, not at all"?

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    The 1923 translation uses "c" for the speed of light. This differs from (replaces) the "V" used by Einstein for that purpose.
    Yes, that is what I've meant all along. :thumbsup:

The problem is that the author used the form of expression "as opposed to the V," which is still confusing to me.

< Previous | Next >