as opposed to negotiated

< Previous | Next >

nagomi

Korean
"And what we should be doing as Republicans and Democrats - finding ways to lower drug prices for folks, seniors in particular, lower access costs to health care overall and show these benefits in patients' pockets as opposed to negotiated between carriers and administrators."

I found "as opposed to negotiated" is not a proper grammar. How was it supposed to be instead of "negotiated"?

source: GOP Rep. Tom Reed Weighs In On Trump's Move To Invalidate The Affordable Care Act

• owlman5

English-US
    I'm not sure why Tom Reed chose that awkward phrase, nagomi. I imagine that Reed meant to contrast two groups that could possibly benefit from a reduction in health care costs. If that is true, it would have been clearer to use "as opposed to benefitting the carriers and administrators who negotiate the costs of health care."

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    It looks to me like something is missing in this sentence. The end part looks like it belongs to a different sentence. For example,

Medical prices should be fairly decided, "as opposed to negotiated between carriers and administrators."

That would make sense. Almost nothing else makes sense before "as opposed to...". Certainly "pockets" and "benefits" don't work before this "as" clause. Only "prices" makes sense.

nagomi

Korean
    I'm not sure why Tom Reed chose that awkward phrase, nagomi. I imagine that Reed meant to contrast two groups that could possibly benefit from a reduction in health care costs. If that is true, it would have been clearer to use "as opposed to benefitting the carriers and administrators who negotiate the costs of health care."
    thank you

nagomi

Korean
    It looks to me like something is missing in this sentence. The end part looks like it belongs to a different sentence. For example,

Medical prices should be fairly decided, "as opposed to negotiated between carriers and administrators."

That would make sense. Almost nothing else makes sense before "as opposed to...". Certainly "pockets" and "benefits" don't work before this "as" clause. Only "prices" makes sense.
    Yes, that was what I thought. There are some forms such as "than as negotiated", but this one with "as opposed to" can't fit in with another preposition like "as". So I crossed off "as opposed to as negotiated". Would it work by any chance?

< Previous | Next >