''as opposed to'' with omiting

< Previous | Next >

ullas84

turkish
The context ;

I want to say that ''Rents are so high in İstanbul and rents in Ankara are not high with using ''As opposed to ''

Sentence a)

Rents are so high in İstanbul as opposed to rents in Ankara

but I am not sure whether the second part that comes after ''as opposed to'' can be shortened?

Sentence b)

Rents are so high in İstanbul as opposed to in Ankara. (rents omitted)

İs sentence b idiomatic , grammatically correct ,and a correct omiting ?

• ullas84

turkish
    I guess it is ok in B.E because I checked the link you 've given

as against in British
    as opposed to or as compared with

Maybe a B.E speaker helps us.

Chez

English English
    The sentences don't sound very natural to me (BE). I think it is particularly the 'so' that doesn't sound right to me.

'Rents are (very) high in Istanbul, as apposed to in Ankara.' sounds OK to me.

ullas84

turkish
    The sentences don't sound very natural to me (BE). I think it is particularly the 'so' that doesn't sound right to me.

'Rents are (very) high in Istanbul, as apposed to in Ankara.' sounds OK to me.
    if I repeat the rents in the second part of the sentence, does it still sound ok to you?

'Rents are (very) high in Istanbul, as apposed to rents in Ankara.'

Chez

English English
    Yes, it sounds OK, but is unnecessary – there is no ambiguity about what you are referring to.It sounds better without, in my opinion.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I want to say that ''Rents are so high in İstanbul and rents in Ankara are not high with using ''As opposed to ''

Rents are so high in İstanbul as opposed to rents in Ankara
    You can do that:
    Rents in Istanbul are high, as opposed to those in Ankara (which are comparatively low).

< Previous | Next >