<As plainly as> I behold what happened, I will try to write it down.

< Previous | Next >

park sang joon

Korean
The narrator recalls his adolescence.

Chapter 55 TEMPEST
I now approach an event in my life, so indelible, so awful, so bound by an infinite variety of ties to all that has preceded it, in these pages, that, from the beginning of my narrative, I have seen it growing larger and larger as I advanced, like a great tower in a plain, and throwing its fore-cast shadow even on the incidents of my childish days.
As plainly as I behold what happened, I will try to write it down. I do not recall it, but see it done; for it happens again before me.
[David Copperfield by Charles Dickens]
I'd like to know if the underlined clause means "because I plainly behold what happened."
Thank you in advance for your help.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It means "I will try to write down what happened as plainly as I (can still) see it (in my mind's eye). He will write it down just as "plainly" (clearly and unembellished) as he sees it. I don't think "because" comes into it.

park sang joon

Korean
    Thank you, velisarius, for your enlightening me. :)
    Then I'd also like to know if it is possible that the clause means "because I plainly behold what happened" in terms of grammar, not the context.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I don't think so. Have you found a similar example where it seems to mean "because"? It might mean "although", in a different context.

(As) glad as I am to see you, this is not a convenient time for me right now.

park sang joon

Korean
    Thank you, velisarius, for your continuing support.
    Yes, I saw one in a Korean English Dictionary before about a year; I think this usage could be archaic.
    But now, I haven't it.

Loob

English UK
    As plainly as I behold what happened, I will try to write it down.
    --------------------

To make the red As mean since/because, you'd have to omit the blue as, PSJ:
    As plainly I behold what happened, I will try to write it down.

(And the word order sounds rather poetic then;).)

< Previous | Next >