As pretty as you

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I have a student, she writes very beautiful. I mean the characters she wrote down in the notebook is very beautiful. And she's good looking too. I said:

Your writing is as pretty as you.

I wonder if the bold is natural.

Thanks a lot

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    It's fine grammatically (or you could add "are" at the end), but -- in the US, at least -- it would be a highly inappropriate thing for a teacher to say to a student.

Piatkow

English - London
    I agree, in any English speaking country that would be regarded as inappropriate at best and cause for disciplinary action by your employer at worst.

Purely as a matter of colloquial British English I would say "....you are."

Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    I'd agree with the others, both that the sentence is natural-sounding, but that it'd be better if you wrote it as "Your writing is as pretty as you are" - both versions mean the same, it just sounds more complete with "are" added.

And I also agree with the other point - no matter how innocently-intentioned the comparison to her physical attractiveness is (and I'm sure that an innocent intention could be possible), that would be considered an inappropriate thing to for a teacher to say to a student, and could well make the student feel very uncomfortable.

Barque

Tamil
    I agree on the sentence structure.

While I agree that the sentence could be inappropriate especially if said by an adult male to a teenage girl, we don't know how old the student is, and also I believe Silverobama teaches English privately to students of various ages. To make sure he doesn't get the wrong impression, it depends on the age of the student and the situation. Such a remark to a six-year-old girl, especially by a female teacher, could be normal and wouldn't necessarily be considered inappropriate, and even less so if there weren't other students around to hear it and feel the girl was being singled out for praise.

Last edited:

Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    Your point is fair, Barque, and I did consider adding the caveat that one adult saying it to another may not have that problem, but it's still something to be very careful with. Your example of a female teacher saying something like that to a child is a good example of an innocent intention.

Barque

Tamil
    This might be off-topic but I've noticed that quite often, when this sort of potentially inappropriate behaviour is pointed out, many consider it necessary to qualify their remarks by saying that such behaviour would be frowned upon "in English speaking countries", "in the western world", "over here" (where "here" is usually the US or UK), etc.

Sexual harassment, sexism and similar behaviour are defined by pretty much the same standards all over the world, and while such behaviour may be more common in some countries, that doesn't mean that the women there don't mind it, or that it is considered acceptable by everyone. Making statements of the sort I referred to above sounds as if you're saying: In my country that's unacceptable, but I don't know about yours. That can come across as quite insulting to people from those places.

Last edited:

Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    sexual harassment, sexism and similar behaviour are defined by pretty much the same standards all over the world, and while such behaviour may be more common in some countries, that doesn't mean that the women there don't mind it, or that it is considered acceptable by everyone. Making statements of the sort I referred to above sounds as if you're saying: In my country that's unacceptable, but I don't know about yours. That can come across as quite insulting to people from those places.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: Well said.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Thanks a lot, everyone. I'm 30 while the one I said this is 16. But I just want to praise her handwriting is good, she understands it.

Thank you so much for telling me that it's inappropriate to say so, I think in China, it's also true, but if the listener is a close friend to you, it's not that inappropriate. :)

Thank you guys so much.

< Previous | Next >