as pure hues of rose and lily as ever her humid gales...generated and screened, justified...the term

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 31) | Genius

Quotation: He turned at last, with measured deliberation. A vision, as it seemed to me, had risen at his side. There appeared, within three feet of him, a form clad in pure white—a youthful, graceful form: full, yet fine in contour; and when, after bending to caress Carlo, it lifted up its head, and threw back a long veil, there bloomed under his glance a face of perfect beauty. Perfect beauty is a strong expression; but I do not retrace or qualify it: as sweet features as ever the temperate clime of Albion molded; as pure hues of rose and lily as ever her humid gales and vapory skies generated and screened, justified, in this instance, the term.
===
Hi everyone! I don’t understand the bold part. I try to interpret it as below. Is it correct?

The general idea => In this instance, the sweetest features that ever the temperate clime of Albion molded and the purest hues of rose and lily that (= the hues) ever her humid gales and vapory skies generated and screened justified the term (= perfect beauty).

The underlined parts are subjects and the bold part is predicate.

To generate => to bring into existence
To screen => to shelter or conceal with or as if with a screen:

the purest hues of rose and lily that ever her humid gales and vapory skies generated and screened => the purest hues of rose and lily that ever her humid gales and vapory skies brought into existence and sheltered.

• goldenband

English - American
    You've interpreted this tricky sentence very well. My only correction would be that there's a significant difference between "the sweetest" and "as sweet as ever [was made]". The former is more direct and forcefully superlative, while "as ___ as ever" is more indirect and avoids overt comparison with other potential candidates.

If you say that a girl was "the prettiest girl in Podunk", it's placing her above all other girls in Podunk, whereas if you say she was "as pretty a girl as ever Podunk's sons and daughters had sired", you're leaving room for other girls (past or present) to be equally pretty.

The formulation "as ___ as ever X made" also allows for some possibility that X didn't make the subject of the sentence, e.g.

The modernist sculpture was flawless -- a work as perfect as ever the Greeks wrought.
    The painter's approach was as bizarre and incomprehensible as ever the Surrealists could have imagined.

That said, I suspect most of us would prefer changing "as ever" to "as any(thing)" in cases like these.

Otherwise, I think your interpretation is very sound. "Generated and screened" is the trickiest part (at least to me), but I think your paraphrase is correct.

Irelia20150604

Chinese
    :idea: WOW! Thank you for your detailed explanations. :D

I have to say I have missed the significant difference between "the sweetest" and "as sweet as ever [was made]". Without your corrections, I would not know it. Many thanks. :D

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Note that the "her" refers to "Albion" (= Britain.)

I would paraphrase the sentence this way:

Perfect beauty is a strong expression; but I do not retrace or qualify it: she had features that were as sweet as ever the pleasant climate of Britain shaped; a complexion that mingled the colors of pink and white as purely and as perfectly as the moist and cloudy climate of Britain ever created and protected (= "screened", that is, from the harsh rays of the sun, which would have darkened her complexion). Her truly perfect beauty justified the use of the term "perfect beauty."

goldenband

English - American
    Note that the "her" refers to "Albion" (= Britain.)
    [...]
    a complexion that mingled the colors of pink and white as purely and as perfectly as the moist and cloudy climate of Britain ever created and protected (= "screened", that is, from the harsh rays of the sun, which would have darkened her complexion).
    Both very good points. I forget that lilies are archetypically white -- the ones that grow in my yard are pink -- so I struggled to relate that to the subject's complexion. :)

< Previous | Next >