as safe as a needle in a haystack

< Previous | Next >

ro4519

Spanish
Hola!!

me gustaría pedir opinión sobre cómo encontrar en inglés un refrán equivalente a "encontrarse a salvo". todo esto se debe a que en el texto que tengo que traducir me viene la frase: "....Yorkshire, where Catholics were so many that he would be as safe as a needle in a haystack". ( sería algo como "más seguro que una aguja en un pajar").

GRACIAS!!

• spodulike

English - England
    "needle in a haystack" is a well-known phrase but unfortunately not it this context.

When we cannot find something we say "It is like finding a needle in a haystack" but we do not normally use it in the sense of being safe.

Possible expressions

"as safe as houses"

"safe and sound"

Please give a sentence in Spanish to show us how you wish to use the expression.

gengo

American English
    "....Yorkshire, where Catholics were so many that he would be as safe as a needle in a haystack". ( sería algo como "más seguro que una aguja en un pajar").
    What spodulike says is true, but the above usage makes perfect sense to me. It means that if you are a Catholic, and you want to hide from people who may be looking for a Catholic, it is safe to hide somewhere where there are many Catholics. If you hid in an area that was largely Protestant, Islamic, etc., you would stand out and be easily found.

spodulike

English - England
    What spodulike says is true, but the above usage makes perfect sense to me. It means that if you are a Catholic, and you want to hide from people who may be looking for a Catholic, it is safe to hide somewhere where there are many Catholics. If you hid in an area that was largely Protestant, Islamic, etc., you would stand out and be easily found.
    I agree of course. But all I am saying that this particular usage is not the common one.

I think maybe I have misunderstood the question. ro4519 you say you want to find an expression in English Do you mean that you want a common expression in English that uses the word "safe" or do you in fact want a translation for the phrase "safe as a needle in a haystack"?

Antístenes

Spanish
    Si como decís los angloparlantes la expresión de referencia original no es un refrán inglés, tal vez se trate solamente de un símil que se aprovecha de una frase hecha.

< Previous | Next >