As significant a part of

Oswinw011

Chinese
Despite Einstein's talent in coming up with new theories, skillfully and concisely using mathematics as a tool to prove his theories is as significant a part of job.

Hi, everyone
I wrote that sentence. I wonder if my bold phrase is correct. Thanks.
Do I need to write "as significant a part of job as...."

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The sentence doesn't quite work. The bold phrase is fine, but that phrase is not attached to anything.

The obvious question is "Using mathematics is as significant a part of job as what?"

You fail to finish the "as....as..." grammar we expect. The word "as" doesn't make any sense by itself.

If you want say "A is as significant as B", you need the word "as" twice.

Barque

Tamil
    By "as significant a part of the job", I understood the OP to mean "as significant a part of the job as coming up with new theories".

Oswinw011

Chinese
    You need "the" before "job".

No. If you're asking if you need to repeat "coming up with new theories", that'd sound awkward.

(I'm not sure "Despite" is the right word for what you mean, but that isn't the subject of this thread of course.)
    Yes, I was about to write "a part of his job",but I left it out somehow.

..., skillfully and concisely using mathematics as a tool to prove his theories is as significant a part of the job.

Does it sound natural to you now? Im not trying to repeat actually; I haven't use "as significant a part" rather than "a significant part", so Im not sure how to deal with this "as" here.

And thank you for pointing out Despite, I'll take care of it in another thread. 🙏

Oswinw011

Chinese
    The sentence doesn't quite work. The bold phrase is fine, but that phrase is not attached to anything.

The obvious question is "Using mathematics is as significant a part of job as what?"

You fail to finish the "as....as..." grammar we expect. The word "as" doesn't make any sense by itself.

If you want say "A is as significant as B", you need the word "as" twice.
    Thats exactly the point. I intended to use "as", but in most cases, I saw people use "as...as"

Barque

Tamil
    You don't need to refer to the thing against which you're comparing something if it's already been mentioned.

Chinese is difficult to learn. Japanese is just as difficult. You don't need to say "as difficult as Chinese" because it's implied.

And thank you for pointing out Despite, I'll take care of it in another thread. 🙏
    Actually, I think the entire first part of the sentence may need rewriting, and, if you were referring to Einstein's use of maths to prove his theories, you need "was", not "is".

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    You don't need to refer to the thing against which you're comparing something if it's already been mentioned.
    I agree. But "despite" is not how you previously mention it. We don't say "Despite A, B was as significant a part of the job."

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    We say "A is not the only thing that needs to be done. B is just as significant a part of the job."

Or "Einstein was good at A, but B is also important. Both are needed."

Oswinw011

Chinese
    We say "A is not the only thing that needs to be done. B is just as significant a part of the job."

Or "Einstein was good at A, but B is also important. Both are needed."
    Thanks, dojibear, barque. I think the biggest problem is my former part of the sentence, and if I can rewrite it better, maybe I can solve the issue. so I open a new thread concerning Despite.
    Despite Einstein's talent in

< Previous | Next >