as slick as deer guts on a door knob

< Previous | Next >

FLANAGAM

spanish
hello everyone.
I know the meaning of every word of this sentence but I'm not sure about the meaning of the sentence. can anybody tell me this.

thanks

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I've heard it used two ways, both in appreciation of something, and as a highly sarcastic
    condemnation. I learned it from a native Alaskan who had been living in Minnesota for decades. Both areas have lots of deer hunters. So much for the thin etymology.

Here are two examples, to illustrate how it might be used:

Praise: (Note that 'slick' is colloquial AE for very good.)

Young man shows off the elaborate stereo system in his rusty car to a friend. There are speakers everywhere, and the sound it produces is deafening.
    Friend: Wow! That's slick as deer guts on a door knob! (Meaning: I'm really impressed! It's great!)

Insult/sarcasm:

A person appears at a party wearing a green shirt, orange necktie, light blue trousers,
    and white boots. She has a pink hat on her head. The hat is decorated with multi-colored flowers and plastic grapes and cherries.
    Person: Hi Reginald. How do I look?
    Reginald: Hi Marcie! You look slick as deer guts on a door knob.

Caution
    to non-native speakers: Don't use this expression unless you are in Alaska
    in deer hunting season, and know all the people around you very well.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    I've heard it used two ways, both in appreciation of something, and as a highly sarcastic
    condemnation. I learned it from a native Alaskan who had been living in Minnesota for decades. Both areas have lots of deer hunters. So much for the thin etymology.

Here are two examples, to illustrate how it might be used:

Praise: (Note that 'slick' is colloquial AE for very good.)

Young man shows off the elaborate stereo system in his rusty car to a friend. There are speakers everywhere, and the sound it produces is deafening.
    Friend: Wow! That's slick as deer guts on a door knob! (Meaning: I'm really impressed! It's great!)

Insult/sarcasm:

A person appears at a party wearing a green shirt, orange necktie, light blue trousers,
    and white boots. She has a pink hat on her head. The hat is decorated with multi-colored flowers and plastic grapes and cherries.
    Person: Hi Reginald. How do I look?
    Reginald: Hi Marcie! You look slick as deer guts on a door knob.

Caution to non-native speakers: Don't use this expression unless you are in Alaska
    in deer hunting season, and know all the people around you very well.
    I understand what it means now, thanks, cuchuflete :thumbsup:

FLANAGAM

spanish
    Thanks so much, I find your explanation very funny and very graphic, but now I understand it very well. my sister who lives in the states has told me, this sentence is used for someone who you can't catch him when he's lying or doing dirty deals, like second hand cars or something like that.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi Flanagam,

Yes, that's the third meaning of the expression: very slippery, elusive, evasive, deceptive.

Given that variety of meanings, and the vocal and physical cues that distinguish one
    from another, it's a dangerous expression to use in person. In writing, where context
    helps out a lot, it's safer.

For the intensely slippery meaning, it's something like another very colloquial expression I once heard, but have never used before: He's harder to catch than a fart in a hot frying pan.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Hi Flanagam,

Yes, that's the third meaning of the expression: very slippery, elusive, evasive, deceptive.

Given that variety of meanings, and the vocal and physical queues that distinguish one
    from another, it's a dangerous expression to use in person. In writing, where context
    helps out a lot, it's safer.

For the intensely slippery meaning, it's something like another very colloquial expression I once heard, but have never used before: He's harder to catch than a fart in a hot frying pan.
    :D :thumbsup:

Oh, good to know, I am not so ashamed of my deleted post now :eek: :D

< Previous | Next >