"As someone who's seen more than her fair share of bad beef"

Alison 88

Taiwan - Chinese
Friends - episode 1.03

MONICA: [...] I mean, I bring a guy home, and within five minutes they're all over him. I mean, they're like- coyotes, picking off the weak members of the herd.

PAULA: [...] As someone who's seen more than her fair share of bad beef, I'll tell you: that is not such a terrible thing. I mean, they're your friends, they're just looking out after you.

<<quoted text in excess of 4 sentences deleted by moderator>>
------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does the sentence mean by "
As someone who's seen more than her fair share of bad beef,...."?

Thanks a lot.

• Lis48

English - British
    When Monica brings a new boyfriend home, her friends always criticise his weak points. That is likened to coyotes (her friends) attacking the weakest (bad) cow (beef) in a herd, and tearing it to pieces. Paula has had a more than normal number of boyfriends who are no good whom she calls "bad beef" to link up with the coyote metaphore, but thinks it's useful to have friends to warn you about them. Hope that helps a bit.

machadowc

Portuguese BR
    When Monica brings a new boyfriend home, her friends always criticise his weak points. That is likened to coyotes (her friends) attacking the weakest (bad) cow (beef) in a herd, and tearing it to pieces. Paula has had a more than normal number of boyfriends who are no good whom she calls "bad beef" to link up with the coyote metaphore, but thinks it's useful to have friends to warn you about them. Hope that helps a bit.
    < Thanks > a lot... I just understand this situation now!!!

< Chat speak removed. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >