as soon...as recommend

< Previous | Next >

thetazuo

Chinese - China
I'd as soon put that little canary into the park on a winter's day, as recommend you to bestow your heart on him! (Wuthering Heights)

Hi. Could you explain what the meaning of “as” is here, please?

Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    "As" is a word that is very common and terribly hard to define, thetazuo. Here is a to a page in the Word Reference dictionary that contains the many different meanings and functions of the word "as". Read them. Perhaps something there will make sense to you: As

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    "As" is a word that is very common and terribly hard to define, thetazuo. Here is a to a page in the Word Reference dictionary that contains the many different meanings and functions of the word "as". Read them. Perhaps something there will make sense to you: As
    Thank you. I have looked the word up previously but none of the definitions seems relevant to the “as” in this sentence. I think this “as” means “rather than”. Does it make sense?

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome. No, thetazuo, that doesn't make any sense to me.

All I can tell you clearly is that "as" was used twice in that sentence to tell you that the speaker doesn't care to do either of two things: 1. To put a little canary into a park on a winter's day. 2. To recommend you to bestow your heart on him. Neither one of those choices is anything that the speaker wants to do.

Speaking figuratively, the speaker tells the listener that these two choices seem equally unadvisable to him.

Last edited:

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    The sentence takes the form:
    I would as soon [as willingly] do A as [I would do] B.

I'd as soon put that little canary into the park on a winter's day, as [I would] recommend you to bestow your heart on him!

Once again, I agree with owlman.

< Previous | Next >