as soon as you open your mouth/the first time you say them

PeachYoghurt

Mandarin
Hi all! My friend wrote a, and I wrote b. Do they mean the same?

a) Sometimes, your idea is good, but people could not accept it as soon as you open your mouth.
b) Sometimes, your idea is good, but people could not accept it the first time you say them.

• pismo

English -- USA
    This is a guess, of course, but is this what you mean to say?

Sometimes you have a good idea, but people do not accept it initially.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I suggest replacing the pink phrase in (b) with "the first time they hear it". "People not accepting it" has nothing to do with you speaking. It has to do with people hearing the idea and thinking about what they are hearing.

Sentence (a) doesn't make sense. "As soon as you open your mouth" means "the moment you start speaking". At that moment you have not said the idea yet, so nobody can agree or disagree.

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    Sentence (a) doesn't make sense. "As soon as you open your mouth" means "the moment you start speaking". At that moment you have not said the idea yet, so nobody can agree or disagree.
    Unless they have a prejudice against you. It is actually extremely common for people with good ideas to be ignored for reasons of prejudice, based on race, origin, gender or something else

Knowing if this phrase is being used in a situation like that would give us context. Every OP is supposed to give it, but as in this thread, ‘people are not accepting it’.

< Previous | Next >