1. PAUL B.T.

PAUL B.T. Senior Member

ESPAÑA
    Spanish
    As soon as he has finished, he's going home.
    Tan pronto como haya terminado, se irá

100% equal to "As soon as he finishes, he's going home" ?
    Tan pronto como termine, se irá.

2. kayokid

kayokid Senior Member/Moderator

Chicago
    English, USA
    Hello.

As soon as he has finished, he's going home. Although this looks perfectly grammatically correct to me, it somehow seems "forced" to me personally. I cannot believe that a native AE speaker would say this in normal conversation. Maybe if you ended the sentence with: ..., he will go home. it would be a bit smoother. And I don't have a reason why the future tense sounds better here.

"As soon as he finishes, he's going home" sounds much better to me and expresses what you want to say.

3. PAUL B.T.

PAUL B.T. Senior Member

ESPAÑA
    Spanish
    Right,dude.
    It also sounds a li'l strange in Spanish.
    I think of it as a teacher scolding her student for not having accomplished ("accomplished", "completed" or just "done", do all of them fit in here?) some kinda homework when he should have.

I mean in the way of authority, "You'll NOT leave the class, until you finish it", therefore "once you have finished, you'll be free to leave".

Hey, it was not me in my early years of whom I was thinking,eh? I've always been (well...almost) the teacher's pet, hehe.

4. kayokid

kayokid Senior Member/Moderator

Chicago
    English, USA
    I agree with your thoughts and the authority figure making that statement.

P.S. all work. I, personally, think "done" and "completed" are the best choices.