1. Hieronymus IV

Hieronymus IV Senior Member

Acadia
    English: Amero-British Hybrid
    Je crois que c'est 'quand', mais, dans la phrase, « Je t'envoyerai une lettre spécifier l'heure de mon arrivée quand (ou lorsque?) je finis mon travail. » est-ce que c'est 'quand' ou 'lorsque'?

D'ailleurs, est-ce que cette phrase est correct complètement?

Merci!

2. laudace

laudace Senior Member

Ohio, USA
    English - America
    Some small things...
    I'd say "...une lettre spécifiant (or...indiquant or qui indique) ... dès que (as soon as) ...

Also, the last clause needs a different tense. Do confirm.

Does that help? :)

3. Hieronymus IV

Acadia
    Oui, merci. Donc, il serait, « Je t'envoyerai une lettre spécifiant l'heure de mon arrivée dès que je finisse mon travail. » ? Is that the different tense of which you speak? Using the subjunctive after 'que'?

4. zon34 Senior Member

French
    Quand et lorsque sont relativement similaires en français. La seule différence est que lorsque paraît plus littéraire aux yeux de beaucoup de gens.

Laudace a raison et la phrase peut être amélioré. Voici quelques suggestions : "Je t'enverrai une lettre spécifiant l'heure de mon arrivée quand/lorsque j'aurai fini mon travail."

Edit:
    Ou :
    "Je t'enverrai une lettre spécifiant l'heure de mon arrivée dès que j'aurai fini mon travail"

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  5. Hieronymus IV

Acadia
    Ah, oui! La conjugaison, c'est 'j'enverrai'; bien sûr.

Milles fois merci zon34 et laudace!

6. madolo Senior Member

"quand " and "lorsque" are both possible.
    "dès que" (as soon as ) fits perfectly too.
    But,yes the tense is wrong :it should be: "dès que j'aurai fini..."
    (futur antérieur, not subjonctive =)as soon as I have finished...)

7. Hieronymus IV

Acadia
    Merci madolo. Et oui, hélas, je suis toujours embrouillé avec le placement du subjonctif.

8. laudace

laudace Senior Member

Ohio, USA
    English - America
    Merci pour la clarification. C'est bien le cas...futur antérieur. (...I shall have finished is a more literal translation).

(I didn't have the time to finish with that comment earlier) Thanks to the others for their help too.

The word "que" does not always indicate that the subjonctif will follow. I teach it this way: Look for the subject of the two clauses of the sentence to change, as in "He necessitated that I be on time." --> He --> I

Hope this helps.
    Meilleurs voeux. :)

9. Hieronymus IV

Acadia
    Pardonnez la réponse en retard, et merci encore une fois.

Therefore, the French and English subjunctive tenses are applied in the selfsame manner? For I had always thought that the French subjunctive was used much differently (or, at least, more frequently) than the English.

Je te remercie pour les voeux. De même.

10. laudace

laudace Senior Member

Ohio, USA
    English - America
    Good day!

I'm not sure if I would characterize the subjonctif as being applied/employed in the self-same manner...hadn't thought of it much, really.

I will say that it seems very similar in it application. My wife, a Luxembourgeoise, suggested early on that I memorize the list of expressions which "insists" that the subjonctif be used. (How's that for the rule in the rule). :)

I preferred a more composite approach: 1) look for the subject of the two clauses to change; 2) listen for the expressions which indicate the subj. mood; and 3) determine if there is a demanding or insisting tone, e.g. I required (demanded, insisted, etc.) that my students be on time.

Again, best wishes from across the pond from one separated by a common language.
    ;)