As sprays by the white breakers flung

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Daffodil100, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Daffodil100

Daffodil100 Senior Member

Chinese
    Could you paraphrase the sentence I highligh in blue for me? I am especially baffled by 'the white breakers'.

This is an excerpt from the Scottish song - When You and I were young, Maggie.
    http://www.rampantscotland.com/songs/blsongs_young.htm

[...]
    They say we are agèd and grey, Maggie,
    As sprays by the white breakers flung,
    But to me you're as fair as you were, Maggie,
    When you and I were young.
    Chorus

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2009
  2. St. Nick Senior Member

English
    Like the spray that is blown into the air from white churning waters of breaking ocean waves.

3. Daffodil100

Chinese
    What's the link between this verse and the others in this stanza? It sounds abrupt to me. Could you interpret further, St. Nick? Thank you!

4. teksch Senior Member

San Diego, California
    English - American
    When you and I were young.
    While I am not a poet I will attempt to clarify this for you. The author writes a line and then writes another line to illustrate the previous line.

They say we are aged and grey, Maggie
    --Others say that we are old--

As spray by the white breakers flung
    --We are similar to the spray that is thrown from waves of water when they hit the beach. When a wave hits the rocks or the shore, the water is diffused into a spray. Since this song was written in Scotland and there are many cloudy or overcast days in Scotland, the spray, or mist, would take on an appearance of being gray.--

(The line “As spray…” is called a simile. A Simile is a figure of speech where one thing is compared to something else. Similes use words “as” or “like”. For example, "My love's like a red, red rose.")

But to me you’re as fair as you were, Maggie
    --You are as beautiful now as when you were younger –

The “link” between the lines is the comparison between how others perceive them today and how the writer sees Maggie today.

Even though others see us as old, I see you as young and beautiful as you were when we were both young.

5. Daffodil100

Chinese
    Thank you very much for take time to analyse this greatly for me.

Have a good day.:)