as standing/as he is standing

navi

Banned
armenian
1-He looks good as standing beside me.
2-He looks good as he is standing beside me.

I think in "1", "as" means something like "in that condition".
In "2" however it means "because" (it could also mean "while").

Am I correct?

• owlman5

English-US
    I have no idea what 1 means, Navi. If you dropped the word "as", I'd probably understand it this way: He looks good standing beside me. = (Maybe) I'm so ugly that even he, who is also ugly, looks good in comparison. It might mean something else, so I'd probably ask for an explanation if I could.

I agree that 2 could mean both things. I'd need an explanation to clear the doubt away.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    1 means nothing at all, and is clearly wrong.

2 has a meaing, but it is a silly meaing: while he might not look good anywhere else, he looks good now because of where he is standing, which is beside me.

navi

Banned
    armenian
    Thank you both very much.

What do you think of these:

a-As seen on this photo, John really looks good. But if you see him in real life he would not seem that good-looking to you.
    b-As appearing on this photo, John really looks good. But if you see him in real life he would not seem that good-looking to you.

c-As seen he is on this photo, John really looks good. But if you see him in real life he would not seem that good-looking to you.
    d-As he appears on this photo, John really looks good. But if you see him in real life he would not seem that good-looking to you.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >