as such but

< Previous | Next >

stevenst

Cantonese
Hi all,

I was reading an article on learning English written by a non-native English teacher.

When a student of hers told her that she had a reputation for proficiency in using English, she said
"in a teaching career longer than I like to think about, I have not taught English language as such but literature in English."
What does "as such but" mean? I have done a Google search but failed to find relevant topics for "as such but". I guess she means that she has taught nothing but English literature?

Any help would be appreciated.

• ChipMacShmon

j. polski
    I think that there should be a comma before but.

"in a teaching career longer than I like to think about, I have not taught English language as such(,) but literature in English."

You can find a definition of 'as such' here.

Cheers

stevenst

Cantonese
    I think that there should be a comma before but.

"in a teaching career longer than I like to think about, I have not taught English language as such(,) but literature in English."

You can find a definition of 'as such' here.

Cheers
    Thanks for your answer, ChipMacShmon.:)
    So, does the sentence mean that the teacher has taught nothing about English but literature?

ChipMacShmon

j. polski
    I wouldn't be so strict. Probably she has taught a broader scope of English but always regarding the English Literature.

Last edited:

BishBashBosh

English - England
    I would agree. I think she means to say that she did not *specifically* teach the English 'language'. I think it is quite common in our schools to have different English classes, for learning about either English language, literature, or media (advertising, television etc.).

So she did not teach pupils about the English language directly, but she taught English literature, to be more specific.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    She didn't instruct students in how to read, write, and speak English; her teaching was specifically about literature written in English. One assumes that her students were already familiar with the basics of the language.

< Previous | Next >