as the authoritative voice... ('which one' as)

< Previous | Next >

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

I am proud to be participating in this partnership with Auto Club and I see a tremendous opportunity for growth for both Motor Trend and Auto Club with this partnership. I look froward to the future success that this relationship will certainly enjoy in the months and years to come, and am thankful to be a part of Auto Club's presence here as the authoritative voice for the automotive industry here in China.

(This comes from my textbook and I cannot find its original text on the Internet.)

I want to know which is 'as the authoritative voice', 'I' or 'Auto Club's presence'.
I think if 'I, as the authoritative voice...in china, am thankful to...', does the author sound a little arrogant?
If 'Auto Club's presence, as the authoritative voice...in China', can 'presence' refer to 'a voice'?

Thanks in advance!

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    The speaker is saying that Auto Club itself (not its presence) is the authoritative voice for the industry, and that he is pleased to be part of its presence here.

ironman2012

Chinese
    The speaker is saying that Auto Club itself (not its presence) is the authoritative voice for the industry, and that he is pleased to be part of its presence here.
    I want to know if it is grammatically correct, because 'as' is after 'presence' rather than 'Auto Club'.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I'd say that it's of questionable correctness. It might benefit from shuffling around a bit: "thankful to be a part of the presence of Auto Club as the authoritative...". You don't need the "here" because there is another one later. I might even be inclined to delete "as" and replace it with a comma.

< Previous | Next >